Sunday, October 08, 2006

Very Funny - Now Change Me Back Again

The notes at the start of the book say "Peter Biddlecombe is a travel hardened businessman". Well after reading this book, I would like to know what business he is in (I still haven't sussed that) and I hope they pay him a lot of money.

Anyway, first things first, don't be put off by the "businessman" thing. That is just something he does that allows him to travel around the world to some really dodgy places (Port au Prince, Haiti. Bogota, Colombia) as well as refined ones (not that many), and then write very funny stories about the places he has seen and the people he has encountered.

"Very Funny - Now Change Me Back Again" by Peter Biddlecombe was first published in 1997, but I think some of the stories go back further. However, what you realise when reading this book is that nothing changes. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose (The more things change, the more they stay the same). His writing, whilst being very funny is also spot on when describing some of the diabolical lives that people in some parts of the world call 'everyday life'.

What I really like about this book, is the obvious humanity of the writer and his ability to describe some very sad or serious situations, and, make some very good points. But I also liked the fact that he wasn't po-faced or preachy, and to be honest - that he made me laugh!

And this is from a "travel hardened businessman" (and I still don't know what he does for a living!)

You can buy it from amazon.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home